- Do not eat or drink for 8 hours prior to your appointment
- Remove your contact lenses before your appointment
- Remove nail polish or artificial nails on your index fingers prior to your appointment
- You must be accompanied for your appointment by a responsible adult who can drive you home following your procedure
- Remember that pressure is the key to stopping bleeding.
- Please bite on gauze for about one hour and then remove it. If the bleeding stops, do not put any more gauze in your mouth.
- However, if the bleeding persists, place more gauze and apply gentle pressure for approximately 1 hour. Keep repeating this until the bleeding stops.
- If the bleeding is persistent, you may place a couple of tea bags wrapped in gauze. Do not sleep with gauze in your mouth.
If you received any intravenous medication at the office, it is extremely important not to drive a car or engage in activities that require your alertness for at least 24 hours after your appointment. Taking prescribed narcotics after intravenous medication is safe, but you must still avoid hazardous activity. Do not use alcohol for the first 24 hour period following intravenous medications (or as long as you are taking narcotic medication)!
Use care around the surgical sites and you may utilize a WaterPik® device or the specialized syringe provided by our office to assist in rinsing your mouth. If you had an implant(s) placed, you may brush lightly around the implant and also utilize the syringe or WaterPik®.